Saturday, November 25, 2006

Another weekend in Samui

Yesterday Ian & I went to a Building Trade Show. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I had fun walking around talking to people about house building stuff... for once I am the customer, so I took great joy in asking the sales people questions about their products .. eg. what's the benefit of an ozone generator over traditional chlorine system for the swimming pool? A little nerdy, but for once it wasn't me preparing the marketing spiel for a trade show! :-)

We came home with loads of brochures, and a few good ideas (albeit expensive ones). I found these great wooden shutter blinds (www.finewoodshutter.com/gallery.html), some groovy roof guttering (www.rainwater-solutions.com), and some sunproof/water-resistant outdoor fabrics (www.suniture.com)... just to name a few!

We're still waiting for our architect drawings. They are a few weeks late already... something to do with a PC crash in the architect's office... and they had to get new PC's or rebuild them or something along those lines(?)... anyway, we were hoping to get the drawings yesterday.. but we're still waiting. Hopefully we'll get them next week, and it won't affect our overall project schedule! :-)

It was Troy & Danielle's last day in Thailand, so we took them to the 'One Dollar Cafe' for lunch... an aptly named Thai cafe, where all the dishes are around 1 US dollar! Lunch for the 4 of us, incl drinks, cost less 8 USD. After a quick stop at the 'bug man' for Troy to try some deep fried grasshoppers, we dropped them at the airport (on their way back to Melbourne). Afterwards, we went out with Wendy & Roger. First for a quick bite at our fave Italian restaurant (Antica Locanda), and then to watch the rugby at 'The Office' - a bar in Bangrak.

Most of the people in the bar were there to watch the England vs. Sth Africa game which was shown on the big screen. However, I was shepherded off to a corner to watch the Australia vs. Scotland game on another TV... funnily enough, I was the only Australian in the bar, and I sat next to a Scottish guy called Robbie. He comes from the Shetland Islands, but had also lived in Yetholm, a small village about 6 miles from where my Dad was born. We had a good old chat... and he even taught me a few Gaelic expressions.

Just another weekend in Samui...

No comments: